Leovaunt Game Design

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 'The Protoss' 2nd Edition! Thoughts?

Leovaunt
Site Owner

Supplement 3 'The Protoss' is now avalible for 2nd edition! What is everyone’s thoughts on the new version? How do you feel about the updated protoss player races? What about the psionic power source system, or the changes to classes and honor? Also looking out for typos or editing mistakes, unclear phrasing, or anywhere that more elaboration or redundancies is necessary.

And yes, Supplement 2 is still coming. This just got finished first. 

--

~Leovaunt

June 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bink

Just skimming through this, it looks good! I'll have to see how things work out in our next session and if there's anything unclear or in need of elaboration.

I do have a question on psionic power sources though. Since our campaign takes place after the events of LotV, most if not all Khalai Protoss no longer have nerve chords and, as far as I know, the Khala does not exist anymore. Obviously they are still able to manifest psionic powers though. Do they still use the rules and effects for the Khala power source? You might want to either clarify that they do, or add specific rules for them.

June 19, 2017 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leovaunt
Site Owner

Hey Bink! Great question, but complicated answer.

The simplest answer is, the protoss supplement I just released covers pre-legacy of the void for the most part. My supplements haven’t quite caught up with the video game plotlines quite yet, being why there is no mention of the severed nerve cords.

In the End War supplement, there will be a ton of new rules for playing as the unified protoss. Because I know a lot of people want these character creation options, my next starcraft resource is going to be a ‘mini supplement’ that contains rules for Primal Zerg, Tal’darim and Purifier protoss, as well as what will be known as Daelaam protoss.

Daelaam protoss, as you know from the game, are protoss that have merged their societies together into one great protoss empire. Becoming a daelaam protoss will probably be a talent. It will make the biggest difference for Aiur protoss, because it will reflect them adapting to losing their nerve cords. I haven’t decided exactly how it will work yet, but I know it will involve some choices on the part of the Aiur protoss.

The simplest answer for now is to give protoss that have had their nerve cords severed instead gain access to the Void psionic power source. Protoss who lose their nerve cords tend to begin tapping into the void, intentionally or not, to gain their psionic powers. Similarly, they lose access to their Instinctive Telepathic Link. They will differ from Nerazim in that they have the Mental Discipline trait and no cloaking ability.

The final rules will be much more convoluted and deep than this, but this is a starting ground to work from. In the end, they will a sort of hybrid between Void and Khala power source, and will be quite potent. Once I know more, I will let you know!

--

~Leovaunt

June 19, 2017 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shadow Chorus

I noticed the prices for some of the items don't line up between the tables and the descriptions. Imperial power suit is listed as 130 Honor in the table, same as 1st edition, but the description says it is 100 honor. I'm assuming the description is correct, since it is the one that has changed between the two editions.

June 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shadow Chorus

Something I just noticed: There doesn't appear to be any rate of shield regeneration or ability to recover plasma shields outside of the Energize shields psionic power, which only people with the Energy discipline can actually use.

June 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

xhupi

awesome, keep pointing things out!  This is how we fix stuff :)

I believe you are correcton the honor cost of the Imperial Power Suit, and if im not mistaken, recovering energy shields is still supposed to be tied to a shield recovery action, or perhaps a special use of the focusing action, ill check into that -- but in either case that somehow slipped its way out of the book.

June 21, 2017 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Leovaunt
Site Owner

Bink at June 19, 2017 at 8:09 AM

Just skimming through this, it looks good! I'll have to see how things work out in our next session and if there's anything unclear or in need of elaboration.

I do have a question on psionic power sources though. Since our campaign takes place after the events of LotV, most if not all Khalai Protoss no longer have nerve chords and, as far as I know, the Khala does not exist anymore. Obviously they are still able to manifest psionic powers though. Do they still use the rules and effects for the Khala power source? You might want to either clarify that they do, or add specific rules for them.

This is the early notes on how this works. 

Severed Nerve Cords

When an Aiur protoss’ nerve cords are severed, they lose their Instinctive Telepathic Link to Protoss. Furthermore, they lose access to the Khala variant of their energy powers and their psi blades lose the Focus quality from Psionic Weapon Origin. This lasts until they take the Daelaam Unification talent. When this character loses their nerve cords, they can replace one of their existing talents with Daelaam Unification during their next 8 hour rest.

Without taking Daelaam Unification, Aiur protoss who lose their nerve cords will gain the Void psionic power source after 1 month has passed. They lose any benefits of the Khala power source, including using those psionic powers and access to Focus psionic weapons, unless they take Daelaam Unification sometime in the future.

Nerazim and Tal’darim protoss do not suffer any penalties for losing their nerve cords.

Nerve cords can be severed with a called shot attack to the Vitals. A single attack must deal at least 3 crippling wound points to the Vitals (or the head for the earlier versions) to severe the nerve cords. Nerve cords cannot be targeted outside of a called shot; they are never randomly severed.

Daelaam Unification (Talent)

Requirements: Protoss

Benefit: The character has joined the united Daelaam protoss society and begun the merge their culture and psionic ability with the other protoss. This major change allows a protoss to partially adopt another psionic power source that they can use to a limited degree. By adopting a secondary psionic power source, they can use weapons that rely on either power source. Therefore, a character with the Khala and Void power sources can use either focusing or warp psi weapons, and can chose for their energy powers to be the Khala or Void power source. They cannot choose to have an energy power be both power sources or chose which one they use at any one time. Instead, when they pick an energy power, they must choose which power source variant they want to use. For example, a character with Khala and Void power sources can, upon selecting the Psionic Wave power, choose either the Improved Psionic Wave or Astral Winds power.

The character must meet the requirements for the psionic powers they chose, and the requirement must be the power from the same source. Therefore, if you select Astral Winds as a power, then you must have Writhing Darkness as a requirement. If you chose one power source variation on a psionic power, you can pick another power source variation on the same power as long as you meet the requirements.

When you take this talent, you can pick one additional power source for your character to use, between Khala, Void, Corruption, or Purity. Note that connection to the Khala does not give an Instinctive Telepathic Link, or access to the Khala. Replicating the Khala psionic power source is more replicating the control, focus, and discipline of manifesting through the Khala.

Finally, a character with this talent gains a +2 to influence checks when dealing with other protoss with this talent.

--

~Leovaunt

July 9, 2017 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.